Saturday, January 19, 2013

brooklyn bros

Since moving in with my mom, we've been spending a lot of time together. We've even been doing yoga together! The mother-daughter bonding continues with a spa day today. I called to make the appointment yesterday and the telephone conversation was just bizarre. When I call a salon I expect to be speaking to a woman or a gay man. Not in Brooklyn. The phone was answered by a bro. He needed to place me on hold several times to figure out how to book two simultaneous pedicures. By the end of the call, he had somehow fished out my entire life story.

Bro: How do you like Brooklyn?
Me: It's small.
Bro: What do you do?
Me: I'm unemployed.
Bro: What did you do in Chicago. Chasing the dream?

I was waiting for the moment he would drop a "You sound hot," but I ended the call unscathed.

I miss the anonymity of the city. There are so few people here that a new face or even a new voice causes a lot of questioning. It doesn't help that there's a complete lack of young women, as anyone with half a brain would run screaming the moment they turned 18.

2 comments:

  1. "I was waiting for the moment he would drop a "You sound hot,"

    That seriously doesn't happen as often as it should. I think as a society we've really moved away from it -- unless it's on a social networking site. Then it's fangirl/boy city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also the fact that you can just look somebody up on social media to confirm whether they're hot. We did that all the time when people "sounded hot" at my last job. Usually it was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete