Sunday, January 12, 2014

so long, 2013

2013 was not the best year for me. I've had some health problems, went through a tough break-up, and, most recently I lost my grandmother.

But it wasn't all hard.

I have so many memories of beautiful things too. It's not always easy to capture them. Sometimes it feels like trying to make out a reflection in rippling water. Only distorted glimpses remain, but I treasure them.

Climbing a spiraling staircase to the top of an old lighthouse and taking in the endless lake on one side and endless trees on the other.

Running so far that it feels like you've left your body and you could run forever.

Lying on the bow of a boat watching the wind blow through the sails.

Carefree road trips, without schedules or plans.

The birth of my tiny red-haired niece.

My hope for 2014 is that it's more of those little happy moments and so much less heartache and loss. My priorities and interests have all seemed to have changed so much over the last year. At first I discounted them, because they were different. But now I'm going to embrace them and allow them to become valid in my mind.

Happy New Year, internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment