Saturday, February 16, 2013

loser unplugged

The last week was overwhelming. On Thursday, we picked up the keys for our tiny house. I spent the weekend painting, cleaning, and moving things in. There have been some surprising problems with the house, such as a bathroom light that does not work. But, other than putting on my make-up in the dark, living in our own house seems to diminish those little flaws. 

We haven't had the internet set up yet, so no blogging for me. I went through serious withdrawals. It was sort of an eye opener to see how "plugged in" I have become. I still can't wait to have internet again, but maybe I will look a bit harder at how much my life revolves around it from now on.

On Monday, I started my new job as an interactive graphic designer. I'm finally using the skill set I went to school for. It's exhilarating and scary at the same time. When you're doing something creative for a living, it's difficult to detach yourself from the work you're making. You don't have complete artistic control and you may be asked to do things that aren't aesthetically pleasing to you. It's a challenge every day, in a way that I've never experienced in a job before. 

This weekend, I'm back in Brooklyn, watching my mom's dogs while she's on holiday. We are taking a day trip to Allen, the antique capital of Michigan, to look for some furniture for the tiny house.

No comments:

Post a Comment